Encroachment permits

Encroachment permits

Public Works Agency Development Engineering staff issues encroachment permits for work in the street or public right of way, including:

  • Street construction, such as roadway pavement, curb, gutter, sidewalk improvement or repair
  • Utility and other excavation work
  • Water, sewer, and storm drain improvements or connections
  • Lane closures or sidewalk closures to support street, utility or maintenance work.

Encroachment permit work is required to be performed by a licensed contractor. The contractor must provide the following information prior to the issuance of the encroachment  permit:

  • A City of Santa Ana business license
  • Certificate of Insurance containing requirements as set forth by the City
  • A contractor's license (with approved classification)
  • Three sets of the approved street or utility plans. Plan check approval must be un-expired.

Public Works Agency Development Engineering staff issues transportation permits for oversized vehicles pursuant to State of California requirements.

For street moratorium information in the City of Santa Ana click Street Moratorium


Close window