About ward-based election
In 2018, we transitioned from at-large elections to by-district elections. At-Large elections means that all registered voters in the city elect each council member, whereas by-district elections means that only the registered voters who reside in a particular ward vote for the council seat for that ward. The first by-district election for council seats took place in November 2020 for wards 1, 3, and 5. In November 2022, the council seats for wards 2, 4, and 6 will also be elected by-district.
2020 Ward Map
- Sept 4 staff report to hold a public hearing on district composition and adopt a resolution setting forth legal criteria for district boundaries
- Sept 18 staff report for public hearing to get input on draft maps and transition plan
- Oct 16 staff report for public hearing to get input on draft maps and transition plan
- Oct 30 staff report to hold a public hearing to amend council ward boundaries and introduce ordinance to amend same
- Nov 20 staff report to hold a public hearing to introduce ordinance setting new ward boundaries and election sequence for new wards for the 2020 General Municipal Election council candidates
Proposed Ward Maps
- PowerPoint Presentation in English
- PowerPoint Presentation in Spanish
- PowerPoint Presentation in Vietnamese
Watch videos of the Community Meetings and Public Hearings held to date (search by date)
Schedule of Public Hearings
The City Charter requires that Ward boundaries be of equal population and that the City Council hold at least one (1) public hearing to consider modifying those boundaries. The City will hold four (4) public hearings to consider ward boundaries over the next several months. The first two hearings are critical in that they will explain the re-boundary process, review the criteria used to modify Ward boundaries, and allow residents to submit their ideas for potential boundary lines. These two hearings will culminate in the development of proposed new Ward map(s). The remainder of the hearings will be to consider the proposed map(s), select the preferred map, and adopt the final new Ward map. The Public Hearing schedule is as follows:
Two (2) Public Hearings to review the Ward re-boundary process, hear from residents about their ideas for potential ward boundaries, and to receive City Council direction on the criteria to be considered for mapping of new Ward boundaries, were held:
- Tuesday, September 4th at 5:45 p.m. - Regular City Council Meeting, Council Chambers, 22 Civic Center Plaza, Santa Ana, CA
- Tuesday, September 18th at 5:45 p.m. - Regular City Council Meeting, Council Chambers, 22 Civic Center Plaza, Santa Ana, CA
Two (2) Public Hearings to seek resident input on the content of the draft Ward map(s) and sequence of elections, select a preferred Ward map, and to introduce an ordinance for adoption, will be held:
- Tuesday, October 16th at 5:45 p.m. - Regular City Council Meeting, Council Chambers, 22 Civic Center Plaza, Santa Ana, CA
- Tuesday, October 30th at 5:45 p.m. – Adjourned Regular City Council Meeting, Council Chambers, 22 Civic Center Plaza, Santa Ana, CA
Final adoption of ordinance setting the new boundaries for Wards. Pursuant to City Charter, approval of new Ward Boundaries require five (5) affirmative votes.
- Tuesday, November 20th at 5:45 p.m. - Regular City Council Meeting, Council Chambers, 22 Civic Center Plaza, Santa Ana, CA
For transparency and to encourage community participation, the City is providing information about the Ward re-boundary process on the City’s website and has set up a dedicated phone line in which residents may contact at (714) 647-6520, ext. 2520.
How To Make Comments - Copy of map(s) to be considered by the City Council will be posted on this site, as they become available. If you do not wish to appear at the public hearing, you may also send your written comments to the City Clerk, by mail to the City of Santa Ana, 20 Civic Center Plaza – M30, Santa Ana, CA 92701 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who To Contact For Questions - Should you have any questions, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 714-647-6520, ext. 2520 or email City Clerk at email@example.com.
Where To Get More Information - All staff reports for City Council consideration are available for public inspection in the City Clerk Office during regular business hours and posted on the City’s website the Friday before a Council meeting takes place at: http://santa-ana.org/city-meetings.
Si tiene preguntas en español, favor de llamar al (714) 647-6520, ext. 2520.
Nếu cần liên lạc bằng tiếng Việt, xin điện thoại cho Tony Lai số (714) 565-2627.