Click below for the Electronic Solar Plan Check process
Streamlined residential solar plan check and permitting
Effective Monday March 16, 2020, all solar applications require a signed letter of approval from the property owner
In accordance with SB1222 and AB2188, the City of Santa Ana Planning and Building Agency is pleased to announce a new streamlined residential roof top solar plan check and permitting process.
Key Features of the Streamlining Process
The qualified rooftop solar project can expect:
- New simplified Solar Permit Application - just one application to complete!
- Over-the-counter permit issuance through the Building Safety Division
- No Planning Division review require
- Residential Photovoltaic Checklist - for projects that comply with the new screening checklist, no structural plan check required!
- One inspection for first inspection request; morning or afternoon preference available
- Inspections available in 1-2 business days maximum
- Photovoltaic panel and associated electrical plan check performed in the field - no plan check delays (for plans conforming to the California Solar permitting Guidelines)
"Small residential rooftop solar energy systems" shall mean all of the following:
- A solar energy system that is no larger than 10 kilowatts alternating current nameplate rating or 30 kilowatts thermal
- A solar energy system that conforms to all applicable state fire, structural, electrical and other building codes as adopted or amended by the City and paragraph (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 714 of the Civil Code
- A solar energy system that is installed on a single or duplex family dwelling
- A solar Panel or module array that does not exceed the maximum legal building height as defined by the authority having jurisdiction
Avoid plan check delays and get your permit today!
Avoid delays in your plan check by:
- Following the mandatory requirements set by the Residential Photovoltaic Checklist
- Following the electrical requirements set by the ABC's of solar for single-string or micro inverter layouts (must be completed digitally). For ABC approval, you can follow the link http://www.solarabcs.org/about/publications/reports/expedited-permit/forms/index.html
To Schedule a Solar Permit Issuance appointment please call (714) 647-5800