The City of Santa Ana Building Inspectors will be conducting remote video inspections for occupied interior areas.
Remote video inspection uses a video call function on 4G and 5G devices with the following formats:
- IOS (iPhone/iPad)
- Google duo
If you have a capable device, continue to read the following information on this page. For any additional inspection related questions or to schedule a remote video inspection, please call (714) 667-2738 or click here.
We would like to thank you for your understanding and patience during this time.
Remote video inspections can be performed for including, but not limited to the following:
- Water heaters
- HVAC change-outs
- Window replacements
- Shower pan/tub test
- insulation, lath, drywall
- Re-inspection for previously issued correction
Remote video inspections requirements:
- 4G or greater wireless service for device and location
- Device should have a fully charged battery or wireless charging capability
- Device should have both audio and visual capabilities
- the remote video inspection will require the use of Android video call, FaceTime (iPhone/iPad) or Google Duo
Note: When entering the contact information for scheduling, be sure to provide the phone number of the individual that will be at the project address. This person will need to be able to connect with the inspector and perform the inspection while using a device without interruptions. If we do not have this person's valid phone number, we will be unable to call them and conduct the inspection.
To schedule a video inspection: Please call (714) 667-2738 or by clicking here.
Day of scheduled inspection:
- The morning of the scheduled inspection (approximately between 7am - 8am), the assigned inspector will contact the individual at the number provided during scheduling for a pre-screen inspection. The inspector will discuss the inspection requested and determine if it will be feasible or necessary to avoid entering a residence or business.
- If it is determined the inspector is able to perform the inspection using remote video inspection, then the inspector will discuss the video format to be used and schedule a time during the day to contact the individual for the inspection. This will allow the individual to arrive at the job location and prepare for the remote video inspection.
Prepare for the remote video inspection:
- Please have job card and/or permit available and ready to display during remote video inspection. Approved plans, if applicable, must be on site at all times.
- Prior to the inspection, ensure that the necessary tools based on type of inspection are readily available. For example, tape measure, level, GFCI tester, step ladder or extension ladder for rooftop inspections.
Prepare to receive the remote video inspection:
- Make sure the smart phone or tablet is fully charged.
- The inspector will call the individual at the scheduled time. Inspector and individual will join meeting on their devices and enable video using the agreed-up format in the pre-screen inspection.
- Have the required tools ready (tape measure, level, GFCI tester, step ladder).
- Turn off phone or tablet notifications during the video call. Notifications may freeze or interrupt the video call and will cause delays to the inspection or cause the inspection to be rescheduled.
- Begin inspection at street view looking at the structure with the address showing.
- The inspector may request the device to be rotated to the landscape or horizontal orientation.
- Follow the directions of the inspector.
- Walk inspection from bottom to top (if multiple floors).
- Make note of any items that need corrections.
The Inspector will inform you in the video call if the inspection has passed or failed. You can also check by following the link https://beta.santa-ana.org/property-information/ and checking under "Inspection history".
Note: The inspector will note "Remote Video Inspection" or "RVI" in the job notes for each inspection conducted in this manner.