COVID-19 ADVISORY MESSAGE
The City of Santa Ana Building is dedicated to caring for the health and well-being of our customers, employees, and our community. In an abundance of caution, we have adjusted the way we provide all development related services by exercising healthy distancing and best practices as recommended by the CDC. We appreciate your flexibility and patience during this unprecedented public health crisis.
Building Safety services will continue to be offered as outlined below:
Permits and Plan Check
- Please continue to utilize our Online Permit System (OPS) located on our website at permit.santa-ana.org/ops. The online permitting system is designed as a fast and easy way to obtain simple residential permits such as reroof, water heater, furnace change-outs and service meter replacements. Please visit our website for the complete list of online permits.
Plan check services are resuming on a limited basis and on-going for all currently submitted projects, including those being reviewed by third-party consultants. Plan review correspondences will be delivered via email and telephone.
Plans Drop-offs/Pickups are available at the plan drop-off area located in City Hall Ross Annex Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 12:00 p.m. (noon). Resubmittals for projects currently reviewed by third-party consultants may also be dropped off directly to the respective consultant offices.
- Please call (714) 647-5800 for permit issuance and payment information, to schedule an appointment, and for all building related questions.
Inspection and Field Services
- Occupied interior residential inspections will be available on a limited case-by-case basis through a virtual inspection system with the discretion of the Building Safety Division.
All exterior residential and all commercial inspections will be conducted following social distancing protocols in accordance with CDC and OC Health guidelines.
- For any additional inspections related questions or to schedule a virtual inspection please call (714) 667-2738.
- For Plans Drop-offs/Pickups - Monday through Thursday, from 8:00-NOON & 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM, OCFA will continue to have a “Drive-Through Plans Pickup & Drop-off”, limited to those transactions only. Applicants must submit their two (2) paper plans, a PDF and pay the appropriate fees. This is located at 1 Fire Authority Road in Irvine (OCFA Headquarters)
- For New Construction Inspections – Customers who have Approved OCFA plans in their possession can schedule Inspections by calling (714)573-6150
For Tech Line Questions – Please leave your question and contact information at (714) 573-6108 the call will be returned as soon as possible.
For additional information regarding COVID-19, click here. A list of helpful numbers for the City services offered at City Hall can be found at City phone numbers.
Ensuring life-safety in the built environment
To promote and maintain life safety in the built environment in the City of Santa Ana through timely, ethical, collaborative and transparent processes to achieve compliance with all local and State building codes.
The Building Safety Division is responsible for issuing building, plumbing, heating/cooling, and electrical permits. This also includes reviewing plans and conducting inspections for the work allowed under these permits. It also maintains construction records for all buildings in the City.
News and Highlights
2019 California Building Codes will be effective January 1st, 2020. Thank you!
- ONLINE PERMITS NOW AVAILABLE
- New Streamlined Residential Solar Plan Check and Permitting
- California State Fire Marshal information Bulletin - Smoke Alarm Listing
- Senate Bill 1186 - Certified Access Specialist Inspections
- Senate Bill 969 - Garage Door Openers
- Senate Bill 969 Fact Sheet - Garage Door Back up Batteries
- AB3002 - Disability Access Requirements and Resources (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Fireworks Information
- Carbon Monoxide Detector Requirements