Public counter assistance and services will be handled by appointment only: phone, email, and teleconferencing are also available.
Attention: Friday, October 22, 2021 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Cashier Counter Services will not be available.
Building Safety services will continue to be offered as outlined below:
The online permitting system is designed as a fast and easy way to obtain simple residential permits such as reroof, water heater, furnace change-outs and service meter replacements.
Permits and Plan Check
Please visit the online permit system link above for simple residential permits
- Plan check services are resuming on a limited basis and on-going for all currently submitted projects, including those being reviewed by third-party consultants. Plan review correspondences will be delivered via email and telephone.
- Plan Drop-offs/Pickups are available at the plan drop-off area located at the City Hall Ross Annex lobby. Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Re-Submittals for projects currently reviewed by third party consultants shall be dropped off directly to the respective consultant offices to avoid any delays.
Please refer to the Continuity of Operation Handout for a detailed outline process
Please call (714) 647-5800 for building related questions.
To Schedule Solar Permit Issuance appointment please call (714) 647 - 5800.
Click below for Solar Applications and guidelines.
- All exterior residential and all commercial inspections will be conducted following social distancing protocols in accordance with CDC and OC Health guidelines
- Occupied interior residential inspections will be available on a limited case-by-case basis through a virtual inspection system with the discretion of the Building Safety Division.
NEW!!! REMOTE VIDEO INSPECTIONS are now available for interior occupancy areas.
Please refer to the Remote Video Inspection guidelines for more information.
Click below to schedule your inspections
Orange County Fire Authority OCFA
- For Plans Drop-offs/Pickups - Monday through Thursday, from 8:00 - NOON & 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM, OCFA will continue to have a “Drive Through Plans Pickup & Drop-off”, limited to those transactions only. Applicants must submit their two (2) paper plans, a PDF and pay the appropriate fees. This is located at 1 Fire Authority Road in Irvine (OCFA Headquarters)
- For New Construction Inspections – Customers who have Approved OCFA plans in their possession can schedule Inspections by calling (714)573-6150
- For Tech Line Questions – Please leave your question and contact information at (714) 573-6108 the call will be returned as soon as possible.
- An OCFA Fire Analyst will be available at City Hall Tuesday – Thursday from 8:00 am to 11:00 am
- Plan Check Status
- Permit History Search
- For copies of permits documents, or any public records request click below.
Ensuring life-safety in the built environment
To promote and maintain life safety in the built environment in the City of Santa Ana through timely, ethical, collaborative and transparent processes to achieve compliance with all local and State building codes.
The Building Safety Division is responsible for issuing building, plumbing, heating/cooling, and electrical permits. This also includes reviewing plans and conducting inspections for the work allowed under these permits. It also maintains construction records for all buildings in the City.
News and Highlights
2019 California Building Codes will be effective January 1st, 2020. Thank you!