Homelessness is a complex, regional issue that affects all of Orange County, the State of California, and cities across the U.S. There are several root causes of homelessness--and we are doing our part to address homelessness to ensure a better quality of life for all of our residents. We're working diligently with our partners through the Orange County Continuum of Care to end homelessness in Orange County, including Santa Ana.
Help for residents
As a resident, you are responsible for code violations on your property. There are resources that can assist you with property maintenance and other issues related to
Report an Issue
To report a concern about homelessness, such as abandoned property on City right-of-way, download the MySantaAna app to report the issue directly from your mobile device.
Call the SMART community call line
SMART (Santa Ana Multi-Disciplinary Response Teams) dispatches outreach workers, case managers, substance abuse professionals, mental health clinicians, nurse practitioners and plain-clothes, private safety officers for non-emergency homeless-related issues.
For non-emergency homeless-related issues, call the SMART community line at (714) 242-3706.
When to call the police
- When a crime is occurring
- When there is drug activity or the presence of drugs or paraphernalia
- Loitering outside of establishments
- Impeding access to business
- Aggressive panhandling
- Encampments on
When to call Code Enforcement
- Encampments on private property
Help for businesses
If you are an owner or operator of a business or commercial property and have concerns regarding issues of unwanted persons or criminal activity on your property, there are resources available to help you in addressing your issues successfully. In addition, many nuisance or criminal activities can be prevented by owners taking a proactive approach to protecting private properties.
Tips to protect your property
- Post “No Trespassing” signs on your property.
- Secure trash and outside storage sheds or containers.
- Reduce foliage that may be used as hiding places.
- Ensure adequate lighting, especially in/around potential hiding places.
- Increase presence or implement private security measures.
- Do not feed or give money to non-patrons.
- Do not leave empty cardboard boxes where they are publicly accessible.
- Do not permit anyone to camp or loiter on your
- Do not allow anyone to store shopping carts, bedding, or other personal belongings on your
- Restrict access to sidewalk overhangs, alcoves, or other areas protected from inclement weather.
- Lock or remove handles from water spigots.
- Lock or turn off exterior power outlets.
- Lock gates after hours.
- Install motion-activated exterior lighting.
Helpful phone numbers
Need help fast? Give us a call.
- Santa Ana City Hall: (714) 647-5400
- Santa Ana Code Enforcement: (714) 667-2780
- Santa Ana Public Works: (714) 647-3380
- Santa Ana Police Department (non-emergency): (714) 834-4211
- Fair Housing Council of Orange County: (714) 569-0823
- Mercy House: (714) 836-7188 ext. 201
- Graffiti Hotline: (877) 786-7824
For life-threatening emergencies, dial 9-1-1.
For general questions, call our Homeless Hotline at (714) 647-5341 or email EndingHomelessness@santa-ana.org.