Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV)

The U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) began tenant-based rental assistance programs in 1974.  The HCV program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.

During the application process, once the household's name has been reached, we will collect information on family income, assets, and family composition. We will verify this information with other local agencies, your employer and bank, and will use the additional information such as residency, income, and criminal history to determine program eligibility and the amount of the housing assistance payment.

If we determine that your family is eligible, we will contact you and issue to you a housing voucher. The household will then begin their search for a privately owned residence to rent that meets the payment standard.

We will inspect the residence to insure that it meets HUD's required physical standards and determine that the rent is reasonable.

Then, the landlord enters into a lease with the tenant, and into a contract with SAHA. Rental assistance payments then begin to flow each month.

Special Purpose Vouchers

Project-based Vouchers (PBV)

Project-based vouchers (PBVs) are a component of a public housing agency’s (PHA’s) Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program. The PHA uses its tenant-based voucher funding to allocate project-based units to a project. Projects are typically selected for PBVs through a competitive process managed by the PHA.

A PHA can use authorized voucher units to project-base units in a specific project if the owner agrees to either rehabilitate or construct the units, or the owner agrees to set-aside a portion of the units in an existing development. Information as to whether a PHA manages the PBV program may be found below

Mainstream (MS5)

Mainstream vouchers assist non-elderly persons with disabilities. Aside from serving a special population, Mainstream vouchers are administered using the same rules as other housing choice vouchers. Funding and financial reporting for Mainstream vouchers is separate from the regular tenant-based voucher program.

Veterans Affairs supportive housing (VASH)

The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program combines HUD’s Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Veteran Affairs Office (VA). The VA provides these services for participating Veterans at VA medical centers (VAMCs), community-based outreach clinics (CBOCs), through VA contractors, or through other VA designated entities. All interested parties should contact their local VA office for further information on the application process.

Foster Youth to Independence (FYI)

The Foster Youth to Independence (FYI) initiative makes Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) assistance available to Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) in partnership with Public Child Welfare Agencies (PCWAs) and Social Services.  Under FYI, PHAs provide housing assistance on behalf of:

Youth at least 18 years and not more than 24 years of age (have not reached their 25th birthday) who left foster care, or will leave foster care within 90 days, in accordance with a transition plan described in Section 475(5)(H) of the Social Security Act, and are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless at age 16 or older.

As required by statute, an FYI voucher issued to such a youth may only be used to provide housing assistance for the youth for a maximum of 36 months.

In addition to providing up to 36 months of rental assistance, youth must be provided supportive services to assist the young person on their path to self-sufficiency

Emergency Housing Vouchers (EHV)

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has issued the Housing Authority of the City of Santa Ana (SAHA) 89 Emergency Housing Vouchers (EHV) through the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA). With these new vouchers, we will be able to assist individuals and/or families who meet the following criteria:

  • Experiencing homelessness
  • At risk of experiencing homelessness
  • Were recently experiencing homelessness or facing housing instability
  • Fleeing or attempting to flee domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, stalking, or human trafficking

All persons who are eligible for EHV’s must be referred to the Santa Ana Housing Authority through the Coordinated Entry System (CES), or by calling 2-1-1.

Additionally, EHV’s come with multiple incentives to assist applicants with move readiness.

  • Moving expenses
  • Security deposit
  • Application fees
  • Utility deposits
  • Purchase of furniture/appliances
Close window