Members of the City Council receive compensation for their services pursuant to the City Charter. Their compensation includes a monthly stipend, auto allowance, retirement plan/deferred compensation, health insurance benefits, and life insurance benefits.
Monthly compensation details
- A monthly salary of $1,000 for attending City Council meetings (updated in Resolution 2016- 094 and pursuant to Section 402 of the City Charter).
- A stipend of $50 per session as a member of the Housing Authority, provided that members of the City Council may not exceed four sessions per calendar month
(pursuant to Resolution 89-089).
- A monthly automobile allowance of $500 (pursuant to Resolution 91-066).
Retirement benefits / deferred compensation
The City offers a CalPERS retirement plan for full time employees and designated part-time employees, and a deferred compensation plan (in lieu of Social Security). Members of the City Council have the option of either of the following plans:
- Optional membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) equivalent to a regular City employee (Pursuant to Ordinance NS-2150).
- Deferred Compensation in-lieu-of Social Security. The City matches the employee's contribution of 3.75 percent of salary.
Health and life insurance benefits
Members of the City Council are eligible to enroll in several City-sponsored group insurance plans, including medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance (Pursuant to Resolution 89-089). Below is a summary of coverage available.
- A $20,000 basic life insurance policy, while in office.
- Medical/Dental insurance coverage paid by the City as normally provided for unrepresented appointed employees of the City of Santa Ana. Medical/Dental Cash-Back Option is available for those who have medical insurance coverage through
other sources. Retiree Health and Dental is available (if eligible) at retired Mayor/Councilmember’s cost.
- Vision insurance available for purchase.
- Councilmembers may also enroll in the City's Section 125 Cafeteria Plan, also known as a Flexible Spending Plan, allowing payment for certain health benefits with pre-tax dollars.