Memorial Day closure: City Hall and non-essential City facilities are closed, street sweeping is canceled on Monday, May 27, 2024. Learn more.

FAQ Topic: Property and housing

What is an ADU?

“Accessory dwelling unit” or “ADU” means an attached or detached residential dwelling unit that provides complete independent living facilities for one or more persons and is located on a lot with a proposed or existing primary residential building. More information is available on our website.

What is the Housing Choice Voucher / Section 8 program?

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program is the federal government’s largest program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and persons with a disability to afford healthy and safe housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including … Continued

How can I find affordable housing?

The Housing Division manages multiple sources of local, state and federal funds to promote and facilitate the development of affordable housing. For more information, visit the Affordable Housing webpage.

I am experiencing unexpected rent increases. How should I proceed?

The City of Santa Ana has adopted a Rent Stabilization and Just Cause Eviction Ordinance (“Ordinance”) that limits rent increases to the lower of 3 percent per year, or 80 percent of the percent change in the Consumer Price Index (“CPI”) over the most recent 12-month period for certain residential rental units and mobilehome spaces … Continued

As a homeowner or tenant, how do I find out what I can do on my property?

Before you do anything, call the Planning Division at (714) 647-5804 to see whether you are permitted to do what you want to do! In addition, alterations and repairs to your home usually require permits. Homes in a historic district may have additional restrictions. Visit this webpage to learn more.

What are my tenant rights?

Some services you have a right to are: Counseling and training regarding fair housing laws Investigation of complaints of discrimination, referrals to government enforcement agencies or assisting in or becoming party to litigation aimed at stopping discriminatory housing practices Counseling concerning housing rights and the law for landlords and tenants, with some free legal services … Continued

How do I pay my property taxes?

The Office of the Tax Collector is responsible for collecting taxes on all secured and unsecured property in Orange County. This office is also responsible for the sale of property subject to the “power to sell,” properties that have unpaid property taxes that have been delinquent over five years. You can pay your property taxes … Continued

Close window