Welcome to our new website. It's a work in progress. Please provide feedback.

Code Enforcement Division FAQS

Answers to the most frequently asked questions

  • Call Code Enforcement at (714) 667-2780 or report the violation online. You must provide a street address for the location you are reporting.
  • You can report a complaint at anytime of the day. A voicemail system will accept calls after hours.
  • Before you do anything, call the Planning Division at (714) 647-5804 to see whether you are permitted to do what you want to do! In addition, alterations and repairs to your home usually require permits (insert link here TBA).  Homes in a historic district may have additional restrictions.
  • To learn more about what is happening in your area, get involved in your neighborhood association. Contact Neighborhood Improvement at (714) 667-2260 to learn more about this program.
  • Inspectors spend much of their time out of office, conducting inspections. The name of the inspector is listed on the Notice of Violation or can be found in the Staff Directory. If your inspector is not available, leave a voicemail message with your name and phone number and the inspector will return your call at their earliest convenience.
  • Refer to the information under Garage/Yard Sales. The regulations are for residential properties.
  • If you are a business or church, you must obtain a Land-use Certificate to conduct an outdoor activity.
  • An estate sale is held when the resident is either decreased or must be relocated to a care facility and the home will be vacated and/or sold. If you are going to hold an estate sale, call Code Enforcement at (714) 667-2780 and provide the following information:
    • Address for sale
    • Date(s) of the sale
    • Who is running the sale?
  • If you are conducting the sale on behalf of a resident as a business operation, you must have a Business License for the sale. If you are selling on behalf of a relative, no license is required. However, all estate sales must abide by the following guidelines:
    • All items must be kept out of public view, either within the home or in the back yard or a garage
    • All items must be from the household – you cannot bring in other items for resale
    • All signs for the sale must be professional in nature and include either the address for the sale or the phone number for the seller
    • One sign may be displayed in the front yard of the property
    • Directional signs may be posted in the same manner as real estate open house signs. Signs may not be posted on telephone poles, streetlights, traffic signs, city trees, or any other structure in the public right-of-way
  • One of the first steps is to contact the Planning Division (714) 647-5804 to see whether you are permitted to do what you want to do. A new sign? A parking lot sale? Both of these activities requires a permit.
  • The City has many sign regulations within the Municipal Code. Before you invest in any sign, call the Planning Division at (714) 647-5804 to ask whether you can or cannot use a particular method of advertising.
  • The following types of signs are prohibited:
    • Freestanding, A-frame and portable signs
    • Aerial and balloon signs or “arches”
    • Signs on vehicles used to attract attention
    • Flag canopies and/or special event flags
  • No,  if your signs are not on your premises, then it is considered “off-premise advertising” and require a permit.
  • More information about transferring your Business License can be found at the Business License page on the City’s website.

Handy phone numbers to reach Code Enforcement if you have any of the following issues

For after hours, please call the police.

Fire/Police (Non-Emergency) (714) 834-4211
Vehicle blocking the sidewalk (714) 245-8225
Junk vehicle in the street (714) 245-8225
Auto repairs in the street (714) 834-4211
Stray/injured animal (714) 245-8792
Abandoned shopping cart (714) 667-2780
Abandoned furniture (714) 667-3380
Trash/debris on private (714) 647-3380
Graffiti (877) 786-7824
Potholes (714) 647-3380
Debris or tree blocking street (714) 647-3380
(After hours - Call Police) (714) 834-4211

If you have any other questions, please call us at (714) 667-2780

Close window