My business entity (corporation, LLC, partnership, LP, etc.) is dormant/passive and it is just paying a minimum tax to the Secretary of State. Is it required to get a business license?

Yes. If your business is registered as “active” with the Secretary of State and is reporting on a business return to the FTB and IRS, it will need a business license. Maintaining a business entity within the City, whether it is transacting public business or not, is considered operating a business under the municipal code and a City of Santa Ana Business License is required.

Close window