Memorial Day closure: City Hall and non-essential City facilities are closed, street sweeping is canceled on Monday, May 27, 2024. Learn more.

I am renting a Santa Ana residential property to family members is this still considered to be a business? Do I have to get a business license?

Renting to immediate family members related by blood, adoption or marriage is considered to be a business and a license is required. If you are renting only to immediate family members (mothers and fathers, grandmothers and grandfathers, sons and daughters, grandsons and granddaughters, brothers and sisters, and husbands and wives) and the amount you receive is not more than the cost of maintaining legal ownership of the premises you may qualify for a “fee-exempt” license. These costs include: mortgage costs, title and homeowner property insurance premiums, property taxes, homeowner or condominium association costs; other costs or expenses arising from contractual obligations relating to maintaining ownership or leasehold interest in the premises; and the cost of utilities, maintenance or other related services for which the owner (or leaseholder) is legally responsible.

Close window