Memorial Day closure: City Hall and non-essential City facilities are closed, street sweeping is canceled on Monday, May 27, 2024. Learn more.

How do I dispute charges appearing on my Municipal Utility Services statement?

If you have a billing questions then please call the Municipal Utility Services office by telephone at (714) 647-5454 or you may email

If you disagree with the amount of your billing, you must pay the full amount by the PAYMENT DUE DATE with a full written description of your claim. Your claim will be investigated and you will be notified of the outcome. This will avoid possible interruption of service so long as any new billing is kept current during the investigation.

You may submit the request by email to or by mail to  City of Santa Ana Municipal Utility Services, 20 Civic Center Plaza, PO box 1964, Santa Ana, CA 92702.

For more information, visit our Municipal Utility Services website.

Close window