The City is excited to announce a $1.2 million expansion of its down payment assistance program, now called My First Home, to further assist first-time homebuyers achieve the dream of homeownership within Santa Ana.
The My First Home Program will offer down payment assistance loans to first-time home buyers to aid in the purchase of a home within the City of Santa Ana. Funds will be made available on a first-come, first-served basis. A first-time home buyer may be eligible to borrow up to $120,000 with 0% interest rate.
- Borrower(s) must be a first time home buyer (a person with no ownership interest in, or who has not held ‘title’ to a principal residence during the three-year period preceding the purchase of the property).
- Complete a minimum of eight (8) hours of in-person home ownership training offered by a counseling center approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
- Must have at least three percent (3%) of the purchase price for a down payment from seasoned funds (at least 90 days seasoned). Three most-recent bank statements are required to verify seasoned funds. Seasoned funds cannot be from gift funds. Gift funds may contribute towards the purchase; gift funds may not exceed 3% of purchase price.
- Must be pre-qualified for a 1st Mortgage and have a positive credit history and obtain a fixed-rate first mortgage. Co-signers and variable rate loans are not allowed.
- The Housing Division has a local preference for veterans and applicants who live or work in the City of Santa Ana.
- Total Annual Income of the household, meaning all persons residing in the home as their principal place of residence, cannot exceed the income limits established below:
|Household Size||Low Income||Moderate Income|
- 0% Interest rate
- Owner-Occupied for life of loan
- Repayment of the City loan principle balance will be required at the end of the 45-year term of affordability.
- Santa Ana Student Incentive: Prospective homebuyer that graduated from a high school located in Santa Ana and has a 4-year college degree is eligible for a loan forgiveness up to $40,000 ($10,000 will be forgiven every five (5) years up to a twenty-year period)
- The City has a local preference for veterans and applicants who live or work in the City of Santa Ana.
The Vietnamese National Association of Real Estate is hosting a homeownership fair on Thursday August 11th from 11:00AM to 2:00PM at the Garden Grove Community Center.
This is an opportunity for the community to come learn and get information about down payment programs for first time home buyers. For more information and to register for the event click here.
Down payment workshops
In collaboration with NeighborWorks Orange County, down payment workshops are geared for first time homebuyers who are thinking of purchasing a home to gain a better understanding of down payment assistance programs, resources to prepare you towards homeownership and understanding lending products.
The virtual presentations are offered on the second Tuesday of every month effective March through November, 2022 from 5:30 - 6:45pm.
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration is required and must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the scheduled date.