On March 5, 2012, the Santa Ana City Council adopted Ordinance Number NS-2828 creating a Local Preference Program. This program was created to give qualifying Santa Ana and Orange County businesses a competitive advantage in winning city contracts. The program also promotes increased economic activity in the community as City money spent on contracts re-circulates in the local and regional economies. The information presented below will provide more details about this new and exciting program.
- Establish a 7% preference for small Santa Ana businesses on all qualifying bids for materials, supplies, labor, equipment or services.
- Establish a 4% preference for small Orange County businesses on all qualifying bids for materials, supplies, labor equipment or services.
- Santa Ana Business – Must have headquarters or branch office within the city and possess an active Business License and Certificate of Occupancy.
- Orange County Business – Must have headquarters or branch office within the County and possess a Business License to perform work in the city.
- Qualifying bids for materials, supplies, labor, equipment or services – Local Preference will be apply to all proposals/contracts between $5,000 and $100,000 where the city is not otherwise restricted from offering a preference due to funding source, the City Charter, State or Federal Law.
How this program helps local businesses
Qualifying Santa Ana businesses will be eligible for a 7% preference and Orange County businesses will be eligible for a 4% preference for the procurement of materials, supplies, labor, equipment or services from the city.
How to register as an approved local vendor
The city utilizes an online bid management and publication system. This system allows vendors to register online, receive automated email notification of solicitations for goods and services pertinent to their businesses, obtain bid documents and specifications, submit bids online, and view bid results.
California Department of General Services
To be eligible for Santa Ana's local preference program, your business must be registered with the California Department of General Services. Registration is free and can be completed online. Registering the with State Department of General Services also allows your business to be eligible for requests for goods and services from the State.
Please contact Finance and Management Services at (714) 647-6941 with any additional questions.