Certificate of Occupancy & Home Occupation Permit

A Certificate of Occupancy is required for any business enterprise that requires a City business license.

Certificate of Occupancy Procedure

Certificate of Occupancy applications are available online or at the Planning Counter.  Additionally, please contact Business Tax to obtain a copy of the business license application.

Submit the completed Certificate of Occupancy application and Supplemental Questionnaire forms to the Planning Counter for approval.

Once approved, the applicant will be provided the information for scheduling an occupancy inspection.

To request an Occupancy Inspection call (714) 647-5815. Be sure to have your copy of your Certificate of Occupancy Inspection Scheduling Notice.

Note: The business must be moved in to the space or building before an inspection will be scheduled.

Home Occupation Permit

Every business operating from residential premises within the City is required to obtain a Home Occupation Permit and comply with all applicable provisions of the City of Santa Ana Municipal Code relating to home-based businesses. Home businesses must apply for and receive an approved Home Occupation Permit before they apply and pay for their Business License. For information on obtaining a Home Occupation Permit please call (714) 647-5804.