The State of California adopts new building codes every three years in an effort to establish improved and uniform standards for new construction and the alteration of buildings, electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems, fire safety systems, energy efficiency, sustainability and accessibility. Effective January 1, 2017 the City of Santa Ana will begin enforcing the new 2016 California Building Codes and Standards as required by State law. All permits and plan review applications received beginning January 1, 2017 must comply with the new 2016 building codes.
The codes are as adopted as follows:
- 2016 California Building Code
- 2016 California Residential Code
- 2016 California Mechanical Code
- 2016 California Electrical Code
- 2016 California Plumbing Code
- 2016 California Energy Code
- 2016 California Green Building Standards Code (CAL Green)
- Santa Ana Municipal Code
The ordinance containing these amendments may be viewed here at 2016 CBC Code Adoption NS-2905. Codes are available for purchase from the International Code Council, and may be accessed at their website. The Building Division is available at
(714) 647-5800 or by visiting the public counter during regular business hours, to assist you with questions and additional information.