Housing Information for Veterans

US Department of Veterans Affairs - Help for homeless veterans


Veterans who are homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness are strongly encouraged to contact the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at (877) 4AID-VET (877-424-3838) for assistance. If Veterans do not have access to a phone or the internet, only then are they to visit their closest VA medical center without calling in advance.

Cal Fresh

The CalFresh Program, federally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), can add to your food budget to put healthy and nutritious food on the table. The program issues monthly electronic benefits that can be used to buy most foods at many markets and food stores. 

California LifeLine Program

Offers basic home phone service at a discount (Note: May only participate in one LifeLine program.)

California Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Get help with utility bills and weatherization.

Edison CARE/FERA Programs

Offers the California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) and Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) programs to provide income-qualified customers with bill relief.


An online directory of food pantries, soup kitchens and non-profit organizations that provide food.

Orange County Housing Authority (OCHA)

A division within Orange County Community Services that administers federally funded programs to provide monthly rental assistance to qualified tenants in privately owned rental housing.

Orange County Rescue Mission Veteran Initiative

Regardless of discharge status, the OC Rescue Mission can provide counseling, medical, dental care, housing, and other veteran-specific services
Contact: Rob Jewel, USAF Veteran at (714) 716-2612

Path - Making It Home

Offers temporary and permanent housing; linkages to healthcare, job centers; and other supportive services.

VA Home Loans

Find out about home loan guaranty benefits and other housing-related programs to help buy, build, repair, retain, or adapt a home for personal occupancy.

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)

Provides permanent housing subsidies and case management services to homeless veterans with mental and addictive disorders through a collaboration of the Departments of Housing and Urban Development and Veteran Affairs.