Benefits of Having a Santa Ana Public Library Card
- It’s free
- You can borrow books, DVDs, CDs, and Hotspots
- Use Library computers with Internet and Microsoft Office Applications
- Access e-books, databases, and e-magazines from home, office, or school
- Get research assistance from professional library staff
Applying for an Online Library Card
- This card is valid for six months
- CA residents can check out up to 50 items including wireless hotspots
- Out of state patrons will not be able to check out physical items and will be limited to electronic resources such as e-books, online databases, and e-audiobooks
- Complete the application found at the Online Borrower Registration
Applying for a Library Card
- Applying for a library card is done in person at the Main and Newhope Library
- All library cards provide access to online material
- CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS WITH ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION containing your photo and current residential address. These cardholders have access to all library resources. English, Spanish, and Vietnamese applications
- CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS WITHOUT PROOF OF CURRENT ADDRESS may apply for an E-Resource/Computer Use card (English, Spanish, and Vietnamese applications) that will allow them to use the library computers and online materials. An acceptable form of identification is required
- NON-CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS or APPLICANTS WITHOUT ANY ACCEPTABLE FORM OF IDENTIFICATION may obtain a computer pass that will allow them to use the library computers for that day.
Babies – 8th grade or parent/legal guardian must complete a library application (English, Spanish, and Vietnamese applications). Parent or legal guardian must be present and bring with them one of the required forms of identification'
Student Success Library Card:
- This card won’t expire until students graduate from high school or transfer out of the Santa Ana Unified School District
- Students can use their Student ID number as a library card
- For additional information, click here.
Identification Requirements to Obtain or Renew a Library Card
All items must have been valid at least 6 months prior to the current date:
- Valid California Driver’s license
- Valid California ID card
- Consulate Identification o Passport
- City of Santa Ana Employee Card
- Student ID
- Active Military ID
If the address is not on photo ID provided, proof of current residency will be required. Acceptable forms of current residential address include:
- Postmarked envelope with your name and address,
- Rent receipts, escrow papers, property tax bill,
- Printed checks, utility bill, lease agreement,
- Credit card statement, bank statement, or
- Automobile registration
- Business address, P.O. Box, or mailing center address is not acceptable proof of residency.
- Patron must be present to obtain or renew a library card (except for E-Cards)
- Parent or legal guardian’s signature is required on applications for children pre-K to 8th grade.
- Parent or legal guardian must sign in the presence of a library staff member
- Library cards are non-transferable