Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a complaint and/or violation?

  • Call Code Enforcement at (714) 667-2780 or report the violation online. You must provide a street address for the location you are reporting.
  • A complaint can be called in 24 hours a day.  A voicemail system will accept calls after hours.

What if I see a violation occurring on public property?

  • Code Enforcement does not have enforcement authority on public streets, alleys and sidewalks.  For other types of violations or situations occurring on public property, please contact one of the following numbers:


Department / Agency Phone Number

Fire/Police (Non-Emergency)

(714) 834-4211

Vehicle blocking the sidewalk

(714) 245-8225

(After Hours - Call Police)

(714) 834-4211

Junk vehicle in the street

(714) 245-8225

(After Hours - Call Police)

(714) 834-4211

Auto repairs in the street

(714) 834-4211

Stray/injured animal

(714) 245-8792

(After Hours - Call Police)

(714) 834-4211

Abandoned shopping cart

(714) 667-2780

Abandoned furniture

(714) 667-3380

Trash/debris on private property

(714) 647-3380


(877) 786-7824


(714) 647-3553

Debris or tree blocking street

(714) 647-3380

(After Hours - Call Police)

(714) 834-4211

As a homeowner or tenant, how do I find out what I can do on my property?

  • Before you do anything, call the Planning Division at (714) 647-5804 to see whether you are permitted to do what you want to do!  Additions, alterations and repairs to your home usually require permits.  Homes in a historic district may have additional restrictions.

I received a Notice of Violation,  how do I get in contact with the inspector?

  • Inspectors spend much of their time out of the office, conducting inspections.  The name of the inspector is listed on the Notice of Violation or can found in the staff directory. If your inspector is not available, leave a voicemail message with your name and phone number and the inspector will return your call at their earliest convenience.

When can I have a garage sale?

  • Refer to the information under Garage/Yard Sales.  The regulations are for residential properties. 
  • If you are a business or church, you must obtain a Land-use Certificate to conduct an outdoor activity.

What is an estate sale?

  • An estate sale is held when the resident is either deceased or must be relocated to a care facility and the home will be vacated and/or sold.  If you are going to hold an estate sale, call Code Enforcement at (714) 667-2780 and provide the following information:
    • Address for sale
    • Date(s) of the sale
    • Who is running the sale?
  • If you are conducting the sale on behalf of a resident as a business operation, you must have a Business License for the sale.  If you are selling on behalf of a relative, no license is required.  However, all estate sales must abide by the following guidelines:
  • All items must be kept out of public view, either within the home or in the back yard or a garage

  • All items must be from the household - you cannot bring in other items for resale

  • All signs for the sale must be professional in nature and include either the address for the sale or the phone number for the seller

  • One sign may be displayed in the front yard of the property

  • Directional signs may be posted in the same manner as real estate open house signs.  Signs may not be posted on telephone poles, streetlights, traffic signs, city trees, or any other structure in the public right-of-way

I want to start a business in Santa Ana.  What do I do?

  • One of the first steps is to contact the Planning Division (714) 647-5804 to see whether you are permitted to do what you want to do.  A new sign?   A parking lot sale?  Both of these activities requires a permit. 

What kind of signs can I use for my business?

  • The City has many sign regulations within the Municipal Code.  Before you invest in any sign, call the Planning Division at (714) 647-5804 to ask whether you can or cannot use a particular method of advertising.
  • The following types of signs are prohibited:
    • Freestanding, A-frame and portable signs
    • Aerial and balloon signs or "arches"
    • Signs on vehicles used to attract attention
    • Flag canopies and/or special event flags

Can I place signs or posters throughout Santa Ana to advertise a special sale or event?

  • No. Signs not on your premises are considered "off-premise advertising" and require a permit.  

Can I have a parking lot sale at my business or church?

I am moving my business from one location to another within Santa Ana.  What do I do?

More information about transferring your Business License can be found at the Business License page on the City's website.