Commercial Property Compliance Assistance Program Frequently Asked Questions

Program Specifics

Is this a grant or loan program?

  • CP-CAP is a reimbursable grant awarded to qualifying applicants.

How are the boundary lines for the program determined?

  • The Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) determined the designation of Qualified and/or eligible census tracts (QCT)s. QCTs are areas having either 50% or more household income less than 60% of the area median gross income, or a poverty rate of at least 25%. The City of Santa Ana has fifteen (15) QCTs located in Wards 1,2,3,5, and 6 and are outlined on the map located on the Commercial Property Compliance Assistance Program home page.

How is the program funded?

  • CP-CAP is funded through the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA), as a program under the Revive Santa Ana Initiative.

Is there a matching requirement?

  • Yes;  applicants are required to match 100% of the funds that are listed in their application. Applicants are required to provide invoices and proof of payment either through voided check(s) or receipt(s) to verify they have met the matching requirement.

Is a consultation required before submission?

  • Consultations are not required but are encouraged.

I would like to schedule a consultation to discuss the program and the application in depth. Whom do I contact?

Is funding still available?

  • Internal monitoring is being done and funds will be disbursed on a first-come, first-served basis as applications are approved and Notices of Completion are received

Is a Property Management Contact Information sign required?

  • Property Management Contact signage is an optional improvement in the program. There are specific requirements if an applicant were to include Property Management signage in their application.
  • Commercial property signage requirements can be located here

When should I expect a response regarding my application?

  • Please refer to the provided timeline.

Are extensions available?

  • Final Notice of Approvals will provide when the 100-day deadline begins. If a project is not completed within the 100-day deadline funds may be forfeited and provided to the next eligible applicant.

Does the city have a list of approved vendors?

  • No; the city will not provide a list of approved contractors as it relates to the Commercial Property Compliance Assistance Program. It is the responsibility of the applicant to determine what contractors to utilize.


How can I determine if my property is eligible to apply?

  • Properties located within the Qualified Census tract as determined by HUD are eligible for the program. QCTs are areas having either 50% or more household incomes less than 60% of the area median gross income or poverty rate of at least 25%. The City of Santa Ana has fifteen (15) QCTs located in wards 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6.
  • To determine if your property is within a QCT, you may email us the address.

I'm applying as a corporation, do I need board approval before submittal?

  • Applications need to be signed by those with authority to make decisions as it relates to the property, property maintenance, etc. If that requires board approval, then yes, board approval for application submittal will be required as well.



How can I apply?

  • Submit your application by:
    1.  Submitting online through a fillable form here,
    2.  Submitting online via email,
    3.  Submitting in-person, dropped off at Information Desk 2 in the Ross Annex Center, 20 Civic Center Plaza, or,
    4. US Postal Mail to:

City of Santa Ana – PBA
Attn: Chelsea Shafer, CP-CAP
20 Civic Center Plaza, M-20
Santa Ana, CA 82701

Is there a deadline to submit applications?

  • No; while there is no deadline for submission, funds are distributed on a first-come-first-serve basis. Funding will be available until the funds from the American Rescue Plan – Revive Santa Ana initiative are depleted or replaced.

Can I submit my application before receiving plan check approval?

  • Yes; your application with the proposed improvements will be processed along with a plan check, permit check, and all other project procedures.

Can I submit multiple applications?

  • Applications are limited to one building. One application per building may be submitted. Applications are not based on parcels.

Can I submit multiple applications as I conclude projects?

  • Applications per building can only be submitted once and include all proposed improvements with their accompanying invoices. Applications cannot be amended as work is completed or as additional vendors are added to work. Applications must include all proposed improvements with all estimates for the improvements as provided in the application. Any improvements completed outside of what is provided in an application will not be eligible for the program.

What kind of documentation is needed for the significant revenue loss as a result of the COVID-19 application requirement?

  • Providing a pandemic impact statement on how the pandemic has affected the property or the business located at the property will meet this requirement.

Are elevation plans required?

  • All Santa Ana Planning and Building assessments are still required but do not have to be completed before application submittal. Renderings of the proposed improvements are required. After application materials are submitted, staff will review the applications and determine all Planning, Building, and Permit requirements that need to be fulfilled before moving on to the pre-approval phase of the program.

Is the Submission of an application required before work is started?

  • Work started after June 21, 2022, can be included in the application. Work does not have to be completed before submission. If an applicant has reached the final approval phase, improvements listed in the approved application will be given a 100-day completion date to be eligible for the funds.
Close window