CALL FOR MURAL PROPOSAL
Deadline: Friday, May 28, 2021 at 11:59 PM (PST)
The City of Santa Ana’s Parks, Recreation, and Community Services Agency (PRCSA) is issuing a Call for Mural Proposals to Santa Ana-based artists or artist teams for a collection of digital designs of outdoor murals suitable for placement on eight (8) of their new Fitness Courts.
The deadline for online proposal submission is Friday, May 28, 2021 at 11:59 PM (PST) at Submittable.com.
Submit applications here: https://cityofsantaana.submittable.com/submit
All questions regarding this application should be submitted in writing by Friday, May 14 at 5:00 PM via e-mail to:
Ms. Gabriela Cramer
Arts & Culture Office
All questions submitted and responses will be posted on these websites:
- Arts & Culture Office
- Parks, Recreation, and Community Services Agency
A selection panel composed of, but not limited to, arts professionals, City staff, City Commissioners, and local community representatives will review and score the applications and make recommendations to select 8 artists/teams.
The selection panel will review and evaluate the applications and final design proposals based on criteria that may include but is not limited to the following:
- Artistic merit
- Availability and ability to work for the term of the project
- Santa Ana-based artist/team
- For the Fitness Court located near the Southwest Senior Center, priority will be given to artist/team that include at least one artist who is 60+ years old
The ideal artwork will enhance the parks, represent Santa Ana’s vibrant arts culture, and promote awareness of the city’s social, cultural, and historical composition. The artwork must be appropriate for all ages and engage with the growing, diverse population in the City of Santa Ana.
- Artist/Team may submit digital artwork/designs from their existing portfolio. Artwork/designs do not have to be original for this project.
- Artwork should reflect the unique culture of Santa Ana in a family-friendly way.
- Artwork cannot contain trademark images, logos, tag lines, or be in any way thematically linked to a commercial business, establishment, product, or service. Overt religious and political themes and symbolism will also be declined.
- The City will reject for display works of art that are in violation of State or Federal obscenity laws.
- Artworks will be digitally sized for a 32’L x 8’H mural wall and various-sized “front art zones” to be wrapped around an outdoor Fitness Court training wall (see diagrams below).
- The digital design collection will be printed onto an anti-graffiti laminate vinyl.
- PRCS will be responsible for the cost of printing and installing the artworks.
The all-inclusive award of $5,000 per artist/team must cover every cost incurred by the artist in the course of designing the artwork. The City will cover the costs of insurance, installation, and permits (if required). Selection and funding are contingent upon a signed Agreement between the artist/team and the City of Santa Ana.
Eight (8) Fitness Courts are located at different parks around the city. See images below for layout, measurements, and placement of walls and equipment in the Fitness Courts. Artwork will be allowed to wrap around the entirety of the wall plus various sized “front art zones.” The side-edge of the main wall will be reserved for the artist’s/team’s photo, logo, and short bio/description.
It is highly recommended that you visit a site on your own or schedule a site visit by contacting Juan Lara at JLara@santa-ana.org.
- Jerome Park (next to Southwest Senior Center) priority will be given to artists/team that include an artist 60+ years old.
- Cabrillo Park
- Delhi Park
- El Salvador Park
- Rosita Park
- Lillie King Park (installation in progress)
- Heritage Park (installation in progress)
- Thornton Park (installation in progress)
The Fitness Court is a 32’ x 35’ outdoor bodyweight circuit training system that supports 28 simultaneous users on 30 separate pieces of equipment that are grouped into seven stations. The 7 movement, 7-minute system, provides a full-body workout to people of all ability levels. The integrated system includes a sports floor to simulate the indoor gym exercise and the steel bodyweight training wall provides users with many exercise combinations. https://nationalfitnesscampaign.com/cities
Applicants must be artists or artist teams living, working, or studying in Santa Ana and age 18 or older. Candidates are eligible regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identification, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical ability.
A complete submission must include all the information and materials described below:
Application Cover Sheet:
Complete and submit the Application Cover Sheet online, worksheet provided at the end of this CFP.
Letter/Statement of Interest:
[Limit 1 page. Formatting guidelines: Double spaced, 12 points Times New Roman, one-inch margins]
Describe in a couple of paragraphs your interest in the project and preliminary ideas for how you would approach this project. The letter should demonstrate your understanding of the project objectives and a preliminary proposal on how they would be achieved.
Concise 2D representation/drawing
In a single or a series of up to 5 images, please present your idea(s) for your artwork. Artwork can come from Artist existing portfolio or be original works of art specifically produced for the Fitness Court. Once artist is awarded, final artwork will be asked for in high resolution digital file formats [.ai, .eps, .svg, .pdf]
Photo(s) and Bio/Description
[Limit 3 photos, high resolution JPEG or PDF files only, with minimum 72 DPI resolution]
Attach up to 3 photos of the artist/team along with a short, 100-word bio of the artist or description of the artist team.
Online proposals submitted at Submittable.com only, email, faxed, or hand-delivered materials not accepted. Application materials due Friday, May 28, 2021 at 11:59 PM (PST).
Submit applications here: https://cityofsantaana.submittable.com/submit
The online application will prompt you to submit the information directly into the fields and to upload submission materials. The City strongly recommends submitting the application at least 5 days prior to the deadline to give ample time to troubleshoot. Access to Submittable is best using Google’s Chrome browser.
It is the policy of the City that artists/artist teams selected through this application process must agree to maintain liability insurance, which will insure and indemnify the artist(s) and the City of Santa Ana for the duration of the contract. However, for this project, the City will cover the costs of insurance, installation, and permits (if required).
The City of Santa Ana is not obligated to select a finalist from the submitted applications and reserves the right cancel this application at any time.
- Submitting an application does not constitute an expressed or implied contract.
- Applicants submitting will receive notification of the results of the selection process.
- Application materials will not be returned.
- This application is subject to ordinances in effect in the City of Santa Ana.
Q: What if I want to submit more than one design?
A: You can submit multiple designs, but you would have to submit each one in separate applications.
Q: Can I add my social media handle onto my design?
A: Artist’s bio and other information will be included on the side panel, not on the design itself.