Apply for Eviction Prevention Assistance due to COVID-19 and Escape the Threat of Homelessness.
Click Here to Start the Pre-Application (Start this pre-application only if your termination of occupancy is less than 30 days away. If it is more than 30 days in the future, apply for the CARES for Tenants Program)
Santa Ana residents impacted by the Coronavirus who are behind on rent and facing eviction within 21 days can apply for up to twelve month’s rent (which includes up to six month’s rental arrears since April 1, 2020) and receive free legal and mediation services starting February 1, 2021.
Examples of assistance available to residents under the SAVES Program:
1. Check to see if you qualify
- You must live in Santa Ana. Your immigration Status does not matter.
- You must have a COVID-19 related financial hardship impacting your ability to pay rent.
- You must provide proof of lost income or increased expenses because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- You must provide a written notice from your landlord that terminates your right to occupy your current housing within 21 days (examples include an eviction notice, a copy of a notification asking you to move out by email or text message, a handwritten or typed notification).
The SAVES Program is a homelessness prevention program for very-low income households in the City of Santa Ana who have been: 1) impacted by the Coronavirus; 2) notified in writing that their right to occupy their current housing or living situation will be terminated (within 21 days); and 3) at risk of homelessness.
Income qualification table for SAVES Program:
|Family Size||Maximum Family Income (50% AMI)||Family Size||Maximum Family Income (50% AMI)|
2. Complete the Pre-application Process
A pre-application screening is required. Click on the link below to start the application process.
If you have difficulty with the link or would like assistance in completing the pre-application, you can call 2-1-1, The Salvation Army or the City of Santa Ana to receive assistance with this process.
3. After you complete the pre-application, please complete the full Application and/or the Salvation Army will contact you to complete the full Application
Make sure you have all these documents complete and ready to provide with your application:
- Photo ID for all adult (over age 18) family members in the household
- Landlord/Property Name and Phone Number
- Copy of Lease or Sub-lease agreement with an address in the City*
- Written Proof of Eviction or Notice terminating your right to occupy your current housing (examples include an eviction notice, a copy of a notification asking you to move out by email or text message, a handwritten or typed notification).
- Proof of loss of income and/or increased expenses due to COVID-19
- Proof of income
- Proof of recent rent payment & rent owed
- Proof of Address (example: utility bill)
- A copy of the “Declaration of COVID-19 Financial Impacts” provided to your landlord**. A copy can be found here https://landlordtenant.dre.ca.gov/tenant/forms.html
*A written lease may not be required if assistance is for rental arrears only
**If this document has not already been provided to your landlord, please download a copy to complete and include with your application.
The Coronavirus crisis has hit many Santa Ana families and individuals hard. The State’s eviction moratorium has helped renters stay in their homes. Information about the eviction moratorium can be found on the Housing is Key website at https://landlordtenant.dre.ca.gov