Santa Ana Is Counting On You!
Census Day Is Wednesday, April 1, 2020.
Why is the Census Important?
Every year, the federal government distributes more than $675 billion to state, local and tribal governments based on census data. A complete and accurate census count is essential for Santa Ana and the well-being of our community.
The census affects:
- Your voice in government. The census is used to reapportion the House of Representatives, determining how many seats each state gets
- The amount of funding California, Orange County and the City of Santa Ana receives
- How the City of Santa Ana plans for the future
Will my information be kept confidential?
- Yes. Under the law, Census data can only be used for statistical purposes. Title 13 of the U.S. Code requires respondent’s information to be kept confidential, and guarantees personal information will not be used against respondents in court or by a government agency.
- Census Bureau staff who have access to personal information are sworn for life to protect confidentiality, and are subject to a $250,000 fine and/or up to five years in federal prison for wrongful disclosure of information.
Hard-to-Count Areas in Santa Ana
Hard-to-count areas are just that: hard to count. The neighborhoods have a "low response score" from previous censuses and are the most vulnerable to being omitted from the upcoming census.
Santa Ana Promotional Toolkit
- U.S. Census Bureau - Community Outreach Toolkit
- Messaging for Hard-to-Count Communities
- Talking Points for City staff, City partners and local media
- Sample Santa Ana 2020Census Social Media posts
- Social media hashtags: #SantaAnaCounts #IAmSantaAna #Census #Census2020 #2020Census #AmericaCounts #HagaseContar #CompleteCount #BeCounted #CaliforniaForAll #CACensus2020 #CACompleteCount
- Official Santa Ana 2020Census logo (PNG file)
- Blue and yellow Logo: "2020 Census" plus City's logo (PNG)
- Black and yellow Logo: "2020 Census" plus City's logo (JPG)
- Santa Ana 2020Census timeline (JPG)
- Blue banner: "2020 Census: Santa Ana Counts" (JPG)
- Alternate blue banner: "2020 Census: Santa Ana Counts" (JPG)
United States Census Bureau Information
- Census 101 - What You Need to Know (PDF)
- Census - Why We Ask Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Census Information provided by NALEO (PDF)
- Census Jobs in California
- California Counting for Dollars - Census Federal Funding by Programs (PDF)
- How the Census Invites Everyone to Respond & Timeline (PDF)
- Census and Confidentiality - English and Spanish Flyer (PDF)
- Census: Shape Your Future - YouTube Video
- Everyone Counts Coloring Book English (PDF) /Todo El Mundo Cuenta - Census Coloring Book Spanish (PDF)