Interested in holding a special event in the City of Santa Ana? Here’s what you need to know.
From major festivals and international sporting events to neighborhood block parties and parades, the City of Santa Ana is proud to host numerous events every year. Our goal is to assist event organizers in planning safe and successful events that create minimal impact on the residential and business communities surrounding the event.
You will need to fill out a special event permit application if your event
- Occurs outdoors on private property
- Occurs on city streets or city property
- Occurs at a Park, the Zoo or the Stadium
What to do if the event is on private property
These events include sidewalk sales, radio station promotional broadcasts, carnivals or any activity not conducted within a building
- Complete a Land Use Certificate Application. Obtain the property owner’s signature and attach a site plan showing how your event will be setup
- Submit to the Planning Department Permit Counter located at City Hall. Allow 10 business days for processing
- Land Use Certificate Application
- Land Use Certificate Fees listed as category 1 or 2 on the form
What to do if the event is on public property including streets and sidewalks
(These events include festivals, concerts, neighborhood block parties, marches, rallies, posadas or any other activity which impacts the normal flow of pedestrian or vehicle traffic.)
- Complete a City Public Property Use Permit Application also called a “Street Closure Permit Application”
- If a street closure is required attach a petition form signed by all of the businesses and residents within the boundaries of the special event (included in the application form)
- Attach a site plan showing how your event will be setup
- Submit the completed form to the Police Department Permit Counter located at City Hall. Allow 30 business days for processing
- Submit Permit Application Fee of $140.00 to the Police Department Plan Check Counter located in City Hall. Please make checks payable to the City of Santa Ana
- Special License to Use Public Property Permit Application
What to do if the event is at a City Recreation Facility
- Complete and submit the appropriate form as defined below for the specific type of facility requested a minimum of 45 days in advance
- For large-scale events requiring approval from various agencies, submittal of the form a minimum of 90 days in advance is recommended
- Submission of request does not guarantee approval of the event
- All reservations are subject to the fees identified in the City’s Miscellaneous Fee Schedule for Recreation Facilities
- Verbal requests are not considered
- Only a legal entity may request to conduct a special event at a City recreation facility
- The legal entity must have a City of Santa Ana business license and proper insurance in the name of the entity
- The Special Events Office will determine if a pre-event meeting is required and will notify the applicant of such requirement
- The pre-event meeting will define the nature and scope of the event, including advertisement, expected number of participants, sponsor banners, booths/canopies, stages, amplified sound, generators, vending, open fire cooking, security/police needs, parking issues, admission fees, and other such characteristics
- Once all details have been finalized, the fees will be determined and an Event Agreement Letter will be sent to the applicant with a timeline for submission of fees and other necessary documentation
- A pre-event and post-event site meeting may be required
Athletic Facility or the Santa Ana Stadium
(These events may include sport tournaments, clinics, try-outs, camps, exhibition games, etc. and school graduations, and other similar activities at the discretion of the Special Events Office.)
- Complete a Special Event/Facility Request Form and submit together with a plot plan to Sonia Batres, Community Events Supervisor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can also be mailed or dropped off at the Special Events Office in Santa Ana City Hall, 20 Civic Center Plaza, First Floor, Room 1301, Santa Ana, CA 92702.
- These events are governed by the Parks, Recreation, and Community Services Agency Athletic Facilities Policies and Procedures.
- For more information, contact the Reservations Office at (714) 571-4225.
(These events include health/resource fairs, festivals, neighborhood parties, corporate picnics, or other activity that is private or open to the public with an expected attendance of over 40, which impacts the normal and regular use of the facility or flow of pedestrians and/or has the potential to damage the park facilities due to the size and nature of the event.)
- Complete a Special Event/Facility Request Form and submit to Sonia Batres, Community Events Supervisor at email@example.com. Applications can also be mailed or dropped off at the Special Events Office in Santa Ana City Hall, 20 Civic Center Plaza, First Floor, Room 1301, Santa Ana, CA 92702.
- For more information, contact the Special Events Office at (714) 571-4227.
Recreation Center or Senior Center
(These events include indoor tournaments, health fairs, posadas, festivals, neighborhood parties, or other activity that is open to the public which impacts the normal and regular use of the facility and/or the normal flow of pedestrians.)
- Secure an Application and Conditional Use Permit for Use of Facility form from the recreation center you wish to reserve and submit the completed form to that center.
- You may contact the center directly for more information:
- El Salvador Center - 1 (714) 647-6558
- Memorial Center - 1 (714) 571-4242
- Salgado Center - 1 (714) 571-4267
- Santa Anita Center - 1 (714) 647-6552
- Logan Center - 1 (714) 571-4263
- Santa Ana Senior Center - 1 (714) 647-6540
- Southwest Senior Center - 1 (714) 647-5306
- Santiago Park Interpretive Center - 1 (714) 647-6902
- Fisher Park/Santiago Park Cabins - 1 (714) 571-4233
Santa Ana Zoo
See the Friends of the Santa Ana Zoo ( FOSAZ ) web site.