Greenhouse Gases are Increasing Due to Four Human Activities:
- Combustion of fossil fuels. Carbon dioxide is produced when gasoline is burned in automobiles, and when coal and natural gas are burned to heat and light our homes and businesses. About threequarters of the carbon dioxide emissions produced by human activity during the past 20 years are due to the burning of fossil fuels.
- Deforestation. When vegetation is cleared, burned, or left to decay, carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere. Vegetation also absorbs carbon dioxide. Once the vegetation is gone, less carbon dioxide will be absorbed out of the air.
- Decomposition of organic matter. The decay of organic landfill waste releases both carbon dioxide and methane into the air. Methane is over 21 times more potent than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas.
- Raising Livestock. Animals such as cows and sheep consume large quantities pf
vegetation and release methane as a byproduct of digestion.
Important side benefits of implementing a Climate Action Plan:
- Makes communities more livable and comfortable
- Promotes innovation and new market-based strategies
- Retains jobs and promotes new jobs with new technologies
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions and pollution
- Improves public health
- Uses energy and water resources more efficiently
- Provides more pedestrian-and bicycle-friendly options